Sunday 29 January 2012

Bruce weekend II - something a bit different

So after much deliberation (and after I couldn't find rabbit at the last minute for love nor money), I made the Malaysian chicken curry. Sounds simple, and it is, but curry is something I've never been comfortable with and has resulted in mixed success on previous occasions.


So here's what was needed:
8 skinned and boneless chicken thighs (c 900g boneless weight), cut in half and seasoned with flaked sea salt - I skinned and de-boned at home
sea salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil
6 dried kaffir lime leaves
2 large cinnamon sticks
1 fresh lemongrass, split and bruised with the back of a heavy knife
400ml chicken stock
400ml coconut milk
I also included a few mushrooms that I had left over in the fridge from the duck dish last week, which were lovely


For the spice mix:
5g coriander seeds
6-8 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
c4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly (I used 6, it was lovely)
c30g peeled fresh ginger, grated
2 bird's eye chillies, chopped with seeds (the recipe suggested 3-4 - I used 2, and I could have included maybe 1 more if pushed, but them maybe I'm just a wimp)


First, I lightly toasted the coriander seeds in a small, dry frying pan over a medium heat until they released a warm, rich smell - then let them cool and ground them in a pestle and mortar. I then put the ground coriander seeds, shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies into a food processor and blended it into a paste before scraping the paste into a container for later use.


 

I then heated a large frying pan, added half the vegetable oil and, once hot, sauteed the chicken until it was lightly coloured. In parallel, I also heated the rest of the oil in a large braising pan and then fried the paste mixture for about 5 minutes, until it was a bit more oily and less wet. The smell was absolutely beautiful - a rich, spicy aroma that made my mouth water.

 

I then added the cinnamon sticks, the lemongrass, the kaffir lime leaves and the chicken to the pan with the paste in it, along with the juices from the frying pan. Once everything was mixed in together, I poured over the chicken stock and half the coconut milk and left to simmer lightly (as opposed to boil) for an hour.
  
After about 40 minutes, I stirred in the mushrooms. After an hour, I added the rest of the coconut milk, cooked for another couple of minutes and then took off the heat. It didn't needed any more seasoning, but I'd taste just to make sure.

The recipe has what seems like a great way of cooking slightly sticky, fluffy jasmine rice - I used wholegrain basmati, which I love, instead. I also steamed some asparagus and pak choi and sprinkled with light soy sauce -not strictly necessary, but nice if you prefer to have your meals with greenery. This curry tastes beautiful and is incredibly more-ish -I have quite a lot left over for the next couple of days (although it will probably only last less than one...). Great recipe, I'll definitely be making this again!Yum.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment