Sunday 8 January 2012

Zilli weekend - take 2!

Continuing with the Zilli theme, I tried two recipes this Sunday - one for supper, and one to take to work for lunch for the next couple of days. It's new year, so both have a healthier theme than normal - which I expect will disappear soon enough...

1. The lunch option - Root vegetable salad (Verdure e Insalata)

2 large carrots
1 small celeriac
1 large potato
1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
1 bulb of fennel, sliced very thinly
2 celery sticks,sliced
--- As an aside at this point, I used six parsnips, four carrots and a bulb of fennel, as Tesco didn't have any celeriac and I didn't want to use potato,broccoli or cauliflower. Also, I hate celery - but I expect you can substitute any root / other vegetables as you wish----
4 garlic cloves (I used 6)
25g fresh rosemary leaves, chopped roughly
25g fresh basil leaves,chopped roughly
---another aside - I used rosemary, basil and parsley as I had run out of enough basil and, well, I love flat leaf parsley. It worked nicely---
 300ml extra virgin olive oil (I don't think this is necessary - I used maybe 100ml and it was fine for roasting, it depends what your preference is)
Juice of 2 lemons
200g rocket
salt and freshly ground black pepper
45m balsamic vinegar, to serve

Preheat the oven to 160C (fan assisted-if your oven is not fan assisted,the recipe suggests 180C).
I chopped the parsnips and carrots into c1cm cubes, and scattered them on a roasting tray. I then sprinkled half the rosemary, basil and parsley and the chopped garlic on top of the root vegetables, topped with a generous few glugs of olive oil (c 100ml) and the lemon juice as well as salt and pepper, and stirred before placing into the oven. The veg then needs to roast slowly until soft or to taste -it took about 1 hour for me and came out smelling (and tasting) lovely.

In the meantime, I sliced the fennel thinly using a ProCook mandolin, a gift from my parents for Christmas and I love it,which is why I feel the need to include a photo of it as well as use it for things that could have been perfectly well with a knife.


Once the roasted veg had cooled, I stirred in the remaining herbs, then added to the fennel. When they were well mixed, I poured them onto a bed of rocket (and a bit of lamb's lettuce left over from the other night). The mix of fresh and roasted herbs with the lemon is divine. I'm storing it in the fridge for lunches (see below) - one portion is already in a box for tomorrow, with a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar over the top. [Note - Zilli suggests later in his book, although not in this recipe, that the best way to use balsamic for salads is to decant it into a pan and heated until the liquid is reduced by about half. Apparently this makes it sweeter and less overpowering. May try this tomorrow, as I have only made balsamic reduction with sugar before]



2. Supper - wild mushroom risotto (funghi selvatici e olio di tartufo), the "light" version

30ml extra virgin olive oil (c2 tbsp)
25g butter (I didn't use butter, instead added an extra splash of olive oil)
4 banana shallots,chopped finely
450g mixed wild mushrooms, sliced (I boringly used chestnut and button mushrooms as Tesco wasn't great on stock again- I expect using shitake or oyster mushrooms would add a stronger flavour, I'd even add porcini to the mix)
2 garlic cloves (I used 4. There are vampires in Putney)
320g arborio risotto rice
250ml white wine
1.5 litres vegetable or fish stock (I used vegetable, and needed much less than 1.5l - maybe slightly less than 1l-before the risotto was done)
1 tbsp truffle oil
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
4 tbsp parmesan cheese (I didn't use this)
salt/freshly ground black pepper

Ingredients shown below, along with brand new Joseph Joseph elevate utensils which I used for cooking/serving. If you don't have them, and are missing any sort of kitchen utensils, get them...



I heated the oil in a medium sized heavy bottomed pan (and accidentally included the truffle oil at this point as I hadn't bothered to read the recipe to the end - not that I think it mattered) and fried the shallots on a low-medium heat until softened (about 3 minutes or so). I then added the mushrooms and garlic and fried (still on low-medium heat) until the mushrooms had softened slightly and released their juices (yes I just said that).

I then mixed in the rice until fully incorporated and then added the wine. Once the wine had been absorbed, I added a small amount (maybe a cupful) of stock and added salt and pepper. Then, a cup at a time, I added more stock until the risotto was done, plus the juice of about half a lemon (as I like lemon in risotto). As mentioned above, my risotto was done after about 750ml-1l stock - but I'd just do it to taste.


When the risotto seemed more risotto-ish and less soupy, I took it off the heat and stirred in the parsley plus a dash of truffle oil (at this point the recipe suggests adding the grated parmesan, which I excluded), and left to stand for a couple of minutes before serving.

I chose to serve the risotto with a few prawns, fried in a bit of olive oil and lemon - the prawns worked well with the risotto, which was met with great feedback (if I had left Mark in the kitchen unsupervised, it would all have been gone) despite the lack of butter and cheese. Result!



No comments:

Post a Comment